The perfect iced coffee recipe!! So amazingly creamy and delicious – just in time for warmer weather!
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE iced coffee!
I actually stopped drinking coffee completely for about 2 years. For the most part, I didn’t think that I missed it. And then I went on a strict diet this January…
After almost 3 weeks, I completely fell off the health wagon – hard. I went from vegetables at every meal with no snacks to a February “splurge” that would give health-nuts nightmares. (In case you’re wondering, no sugar + no dairy = no happiness!).
And that’s when I started drinking coffee again. At first, it was just a cup here or there because I was really craving iced coffee.
Now I have at least a cup or 2 of iced coffee every. single. day.
Personally, iced coffee is my absolute favorite way to drink coffee! I will drink it any time of the year – even in the winter (apparently that’s weird?). But here in New England, warmer weather should be on its way soon and everybody will be in the mood for a great iced coffee!
Now, you may be wondering… Is coffee good for me? Should I even be drinking it?
The simple answer is “yes!” There are actually several health benefits to drinking coffee! Here are just a few of them:
- Gives you more energy
- Improves mental clarity
- Helps with weight loss
- Contains antioxidants
- Fights depression
Now, all of this is pretty exciting – but how is it actually true? Well, here’s a quick overview of the health benefits I listed above…
- Gives you more energy: This one is probably a no-brainer. We all know that coffee naturally contains caffeine – which is absorbed into our bloodstream and serves as a stimulant.
- Improves mental clarity: This one is very closely related to #1. Both the extra energy and mental clarity that you get from coffee are related to the absorption of caffeine – which travels to your brain and affects your brain cells in a positive way.
- Helps with weight loss: Not only does coffee boost your metabolism, but it also curbs your appetite! Which means it helps you eat less – especially that “snacky” eating that I’m *cough* certainly not guilty of…
- Contains antioxidants: Coffee might just be the biggest dietary source of antioxidants – which actually protect your body from “free radicals” (uncharged molecules that can be destructive to your proteins and DNA).
- Fights depression: Coffee has been shown to help alleviate mild to moderate depression – though there doesn’t seem to be a definite answer on exactly how it does. Some scientists believe it is due to coffee’s stimulative properties – which helps increase motivation and the ability to experience pleasure.
Pretty amazing, right? Turns out, coffee is very good for you – as long as you don’t overdo it. However, too much of ANY good thing is a bad thing, and the same goes for coffee. If you’re drinking upwards of 4 cups a day, you might want to consider working yourself down to 2 or 3 cups a day instead.
I certainly don’t need an excuse to drink coffee – I’d keep drinking it anyway – but it is nice to know that it can actually be good for you!
A Word of Caution
Now that we know that coffee is actually good for us, it’s important to keep something else in mind…
COFFEE OF ITSELF – NOT THE SWEETENERS AND CREAMERS – IS GOOD FOR US.
Any time you add sweeteners and/or creamers to your coffee, you are adding calories. Plus, depending on exactly what you are adding, it might not be considered a “health-drink.”
For instance, I typically use a store-bought French vanilla creamer which has some hard-to-pronounce ingredients that I’m not too crazy about. I’m currently experimenting with some homemade versions so that I can wean myself off of the store-bought version. Hopefully, I should be posting more on that soon…
For more information on coffee and the pros and cons of drinking it, you might be interested in reading these articles I found:
- Coffee and Antioxidants: Everything You Need to Know
- How Does Coffee Help Alleviate Depression?
- Is Coffee Drinking Part of A Healthy Diet?
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Caffeine
- Coffee – Wikipedia
Now, back to iced coffee…
The Easiest Iced Coffee You Will EVER Make!
Don’t you just love quick and easy recipes?! I know I certainly do!
I mean, there are times that I really enjoy taking the time to make something a bit more complicated and intricate. But on a day-to-day basis, it’s the quick and easy ones that turn out to be real life-savers.
Which is another reason why this recipe is so great –you can put it together in 5 minutes with just 5 ingredients! Plus, it is amazingly creamy and delicious with the perfect amount of sweetness!
Iced coffee just doesn’t get any easier – or more delicious – than this!
Incredible Iced Coffee
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 ice cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup French vanilla creamer
- Scoop coffee into a tall glass and add the water; stirring until coffee is completely dissolved.
- Add the ice cubes and stir.
- Pour in the milk and the French vanilla creamer and stir well.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below! I will answer any questions as quickly as I can.